The Q&A Archives: Do I Water My Bulbs While They are Chilling?

Question: I have my tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils potted in a light soil. I have them in the garage where the temp is 45 degrees. I did water all plants initially. My question is do I water my bulbs while they are cooling?

Answer: You were correct to water them in initially; you shouldn't need to water them again until you've brought them indoors.<br><br>Keep an eye on the bulbs and bring them indoors after they have chilled for 10-16 weeks or when shoots appear, whichevercomes first. At that point, move them into a brighter and warmer location and provide water to keep the soil moist but not saturated. The bulbs will grow best if you keep them out of direct sunlight and in cool (55-65F) temperatures. <br>(Incidentally, if there is a spot in the garage where it is a little cooler than 45F, say 35-40F, it would be better for the bulbs).