The Q&A Archives: Shrubs,Trees & Plants For High Desert of Cal.

Question: I just moved in to a new house in the High Desert area of Hesperia ,Califorina. What kind of plants and trees grow well here in the heat of sommer and somtimes freezing winter nights?

Answer: There are a number of well-behaved annuals and perennials that will perform in your gardening zone. Each of the following plants can withstand arid conditions, but will do even better if given ample moisture during the spring and summer months: Coreopsis, Desert Spoon, Gaillardia, Red-Hot-Poker, Liatris (Gayfeather), Oenothera (Evening Primrose), Russian Sage, Zinnia, Watsonia, Salvia, and any or all of the Sedums (Stonecrop). For an extensive list of shrubs and trees, here's a link to a website I think is quite valuable:

The site is sponsored by the Victorville Water District and provides both plant descriptions and photos to help you decide just what you'd like to plant in your new yard.

Enjoy your new landscape!