The Q&A Archives: Flowering Shrubs and Fragrant Shrubs

Question: I'm on the border of zone 7 and 8 in Alabama and I seek shrubs that will be in bloom for most of the summer. We're not warm enough for oleander and have too much of crape myrtle. It would be a plus if the shrubs were evergreen but not crucial.Any suggestions on shrubs that are fragrant would be appreciated as well.

Answer: Try one or more of these: 1.) Spiraea japonica 'Shibori' also known as 'Shirobana'. Grows 2-3' tall, blooms appear on weeping branches summer through fall. Blooms are varied shades of white, pink, and red. Prefers full sun. 2.) Lespedeza thunbergii 'Gibraltar'. Blooms mid-summer to fall. Rosy purple blooms on cascading branches. Grows 4 1/2' tall. Prefers full sun, good drainage. 3.) Mahonia aquilfolium, also known as Oregon Holly-grape. Evergreen shrub with leaves that turn bronze-red in the fall. Cluster of bright yellow flowers in spring followed by attractive blue fruit in the summer. Prefers a northern exposure or partial shade. <br>Daphne odora (winter daphne) is a 2-3' shrub with fragrant purple or white flowers. <br>Let us know if you need plant sources. <br>