The Q&A Archives: Lawn fertilizing

Question: I live in western Rhode Island and wanted to know what is the best time in the spring to apply a Turf Builder fertilizer such as Scott's. What about spreading for bugs? Also last season late in the year, (Sept.) I was having difficulties with my mower deck and cut the grass too short. Would re seeding the mature lawn help. I recently purchased a new John Deere riding mower and want a green, lush lawn to mow. I plan to aerate, as soon as the ground firms up after mud season. Any advise would be appreciated.

Answer: Over-seeding is a great way to help thicken up your lawn and spring, with its cooler temperatures and abundant rainfall is the best time to over-seed. I prefer to dig any weeds out, reseed, then put the lawn on a regular maintenance schedule, which includes regular watering (one-inch per week, applied thoroughly to encourage the roots to penetrate deeply into the soil), regular fertilizing (in April, June, September and December, using a 3-1-2 ratio of complete fertilizer such as Scot's Turf Builder), and mowing often enough to keep the blades only 1 1/2" - 2" high. When your lawn receives constant care it will reward you by crowding out weeds and providing a lush carpet of green. Unless there is evidence of insect damage to your turf, I wouldn't recommend using an insecticide, even as a preventative measure.

Best wishes with your lawn!