The Q&A Archives: Why do earthworms gather under my plant containers.

Question: I have a number of containers on concrete in my yard. When I move the containers, earthworms are often gathered under them. Shouldn't they be in the containers? I want to save them but have a hard time picking them up. Should I put them back into the container? They sometimes look like they just had babies, as there will be a number of tiny ones. What is the best thing I can do for them?

Answer: Earthworms like cool, moist places and that's probably why they're congregating beneath your containers. I suspect that they can easily crawl into the soil through the drainage holes in your containers without any assistance from you, but if you move the containers and find them just hanging out there, you can hose them into a flower bed or onto the lawn adjacent to the concrete. They'll be perfectly happy in either place. I wouldn't try to place them into the containers - it's possible that the soil within the containers gets too hot for them and they escape beneath the containers to find a cooler spot.