The Q&A Archives: North planter bed vs. Santa Ana winds

Question: My front planter beds face the North (complete shade) and the Santa Ana winds blow in from the East and demolish my impatiens...what flowers would do best under this condition?

Answer: Impatiens are such tender plants that I'm not surprised the Santa Ana winds did them in! Fortunately, those hot, dry winds are not constant in your gardening region. You'll have better success with tougher leafed plants such as Trachelospermu (star jasmine), Acanthus (bear's breech), Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla), Aquilegia (columbine), Begonia, Caladium, Clivia, Coleus, Ferns, Galium (sweet woodruff) and Lamium (dead nettle). There are many other possibilities - when you shop in your local garden center, look for glossy or waxy leaves and avoid plants with soft, tender leaves. Best wishes with your planter beds!