The Q&A Archives: When to plant roses in zone 5?

Question: I live in McCall, Idaho. According to the USDA map it looks like I live in Zone 5. I just bought a bareroot hybrid tea rose and I'm not sure when to plant it. There is still some snow on the ground here, and the weather has been alternating between rain and snow. Is it too cold to plant now? Also, is there a ph level that my soil should be at?

Answer: Bareroot roses can be planted anytime the ground is not frozen. Your new roses are dormant now and will remain dormant until the weather warms up. Since you're still getting some snow, you can wait until the snow melts before planting your roses, but be sure to store them in an unheated place such as a garage. Roses like slightly acidic soil (pH of 6.5). You can have your soil tested prior to planting your roses or you can mix some peat moss into the planting bed before you dig the planting holes. Don't just amend the planting holes - amend the entire bed. Otherwise, the roots may stay just in the planting holes instead of venturing out into the soil. Enjoy your new roses!