The Q&A Archives: Yucca Variegation

Question: My Yucca 'Golden Sword' started the spring with wonderful variegated leaves and ended the year with the new growth a beautiful variegation. However, in between that, the leaves reverted to green. I know many variegated plants do that, but wondering if that is also normal for this variety of plant.

Answer: Just about any plant with variegated leaves can revert to all green and there are several reasons why it can happen. One reason is sometimes color variations do not show up for a few years, so when plants are young, they just need time to develop color. Since your yucca previously had variegation, this isn't your problem (just something to keep in mind for any future plants). However, I can't figure out why if it was in the same location with the same lighting all spring/summer it lost its variegation. Were there any changes in lighting? If not, then I wonder about fertilizer. Is there a possibility your yucca may have gotten a little too much nitrogen? Either from the fertilizer used on the yucca or what is used on the lawn. Sometimes too much nitrogen can result in a whole lot of green. If this is possible, try fertilizing with organic material such as compost or composted manure, or a 5-10-10 (be sure to follow package directions. Try to keep any lawn fertilizer away from your yucca. Give those things a try this spring and let us know if it helps.