The Q&A Archives: Bugle Weed In Lawn

Question: The previous owners of my home planted Bugleweed as a ground cover around Boxwoods. I removed this by hand. Now it has invaded the lawn. I've tried Weed-N-Feed when I fertilize, but this has no effect. Is there any way to be rid of this without pulling them all by hand?

Although a weed is casually defined as "any plant growing anywhere you don't want it to", weed-n-feed preparations will not work to get rid of your Bungleweed. They work on plants with a different "profile", traditional "weeds" such as crabgrass, dandelions, etc. So basically, you just utilized the "feed" function...making a happier home for the Bungle Weed! By far the most eco-friendly way to get rid of the Bungleweed is to dig it up. A lot of work, but there is an up side. It will be gone permanently, no chemicals, and you can benefit.

How? There is a website called GardenWeb They have a forum in which you can trade plants with other gardeners across the country. Now, if you are not interested in that, you could try an herbicide such as Scythe (sold by [link="]Gardens Alive[/link]) to get rid of the Bungleweed. Please keep in mind that it will kill whatever it touches, including any grass. Repeat treatments may be needed, but should do the trick. The Bungleweed and grass you treat will eventually wither and turn brown and you can to replant your lawn in that area.