The Q&A Archives: Pruning

Question: I'd like to know when is a good time to prune(shape) a burning bush? I live on the coast of Gloucester, MA. The srub is approx. 8 years old and has been tranplanted only once, 7 years ago and doing very well. Although I'd like to give it some shape so it'll look better in the small space that it's in. Thanks for you help!

Answer: This shrub can be pruned in the winter, spring or early summer. If you need to cut it back quite a lot, do it as early in the year as possible. Burning bush, even in the so-called dwarf or compact form, can eventually reach 8 feet or more over time. If it is truly too large for the location where it is planted you may want to consider replacing it with something that matures to a more appropriate size.