The Q&A Archives: Recommended plant spacing for a Pyracantha hedge

Question: My husband and I are in need of a tall(at least 8ft.) privacy screen approx. 135ft. in length and fairly narrow in depth. We are interested in using pyracantha's however are stumped as to the best spacing to create a dense, lush, privacy screen that has sufficient noise reduction. Would this be a good plant for these spacifics and how far apart would you suggest staggering each? Also, as this plant is listed as a

Answer: Nikki,

It would be okay for a screen that is moderately dense. Varieties differ somewhat in size making spacing a bit variable. However a good standard spacing would be about 4-5 feet apart. Growth like any pant begins slowly but in a couple of years could reach 2 feet a year with plenty of water and fertilizer.

However a single layer plant screens do not provide for much noise reduction.