The Q&A Archives: Propagating Floss Silk Tree

Question: Could you please give me information on the Chorisia Tree (Floss Silk Tree). Can I get seeds from the large green pod that hangs on the tree, which when ripe, looks like cotton inside?

Answer: Chorisia is propogated from seed rather than from cuttings. If you want to give it a try, here's how: Start the seeds in well-drained, moistened soil in a warm place. Cover the seeds no deeper than the seed is wide. When they germinate, move the seedlings to a bright place. Water them as needed to keep soil moist, but not soggy. When the seedlings have several leaves, transplant them carefully to individual pots. Transplant them to their permanent home when they're 12-18" tall. They prefer to grow in well-drained soil in full sun, so long as the soil is fairly fertile. You may need to bulk up the planting site with compost or topsoil before you plant the seedlings. Some nurseries carry the Floss silk tree in South Florida if you want to go the quick route!