The Q&A Archives: Obedient Plant

Question: How can I get rid of an Obedient Plant? I bought it 2 years ago and planted it, but a friend told me it was invasive and I needed to get rid of it, so I dug it up. Unfortunately, it came back this year and is getting into my other perennials. How can I kill it and not hurt the other flowers in my perennials bed? HELP!!!

Answer: This plant (Physostegia) can be difficult to control in certain locations such as a mixed perennial bed because it will spread aggressively in a spot where it is happy. You can keep trying to dig it out; and/or you can try using an herbicide containing glyphosate. I would apply it by wiping it on rather than spraying as this makes it easier to avoid contacting your desirable plants with the herbicide. Be sure to read and carefully follow all of the label instructions.