The Q&A Archives: Sources Give Widely Differing Mature Sizes for Medora Juniper

Question: I have just purchased 3 Medora Junipers which bear the Monrovia label that says their

Answer: The plants from Monrovia are cutting grown and should be of a predictable compact mature size as a result. The listing we sometimes see as Medora may be actually describing the species Juniperus scopulorum which does reach from 20 to 40 feet tall and quite wide, depending on the region, planting site and care it receives. However, regardless of that, I would not plant any of the upright junipers against a building in a foundation planting because they will soon lean or tilt outward in search of the sun. The junipers also stay healthier in full sun from all sides all day long and with good air circulation. Too, in my experience, any foundation plants taller than about four feet seem claustrophobic when you walk past them because they are just too large for the scale of people on a walkway. Rather than set yourself up for a situation requiring frequent trimming and most likely replacement, I would suggest you look for something else. Your local professional nursery staff should be able to help you measure the site including the space for height, width and depth and determine which plants would mature to a suitable size and also thrive in the growing location, then you would select the one you like best from among those. I'm sorry to be so discouraging about the junipers but I think in the long run they would not be the best choice.