The Q&A Archives: planting hedged

Question: I want to plant some hedges in the front of my yard without flowers on them I was wondering if someone had any good suggestions on the type of hedge that I could plant. (These hedges will be in the front of my yard by the sidewalk.)Also I live in Nebraska.Thank You...

Answer: There are a few evergreen trees that can be pruned to remain bushy, and provide year 'round privacy. Consider Chamaecyparis lawsoniana (Lawson cypress) Prunus laurocerasus (English laurel) Thuja occidentalis 'Pyramidalis' (pyramidal arborvitae), or Tsuga canadensis (Canada hemlock). If you'd rather have broadleaf evergreens, Buxus (boxwood), Euonymus or Ligustrum (privets) should work well in your gardening region. Male holly shrubs will not produce berries, and make attractive hedges, as well. If you're looking for a shorter hedge (3' or under), boxwood is an excellent choice.