The Q&A Archives: Mexican Hat

Question: I purchased three Mexican Hat plants last year. While they did great last year, this year they look dead. Am I suppose to trim them down? I gave them a general fertilizer, but that seems to have done nothing. What should I do next? I hope I haven't lost them, they are such a beautiful plant. Please HELP!

Answer: Mexican Hat Plant (Ratibida pinnata) is a member of the aster family with long, branching stems and drooping yellow ray flowers with a rounded brown cone. These plants form clumps of foliage as they mature, and lots and lots of flowers. You can cut back the dead foliage on your plants; the roots should send up new shoots within a few weeks. These plants grow best in full sunshine, in soil that's on the dry side so try not to overwater them. Give them a few more weeks and I'll bet they'll sprout new foliage. Enjoy!