The Q&A Archives: Need Plants for Full Shade

Question: I'd like to plant next to my house on the north side. I'll put in some ferns and hosta but would like some flowering plants too. Any ideas? I'm in Michigan - zone 5.

Answer: There are a number of groundcovers, perennials and shrubs that will adapt to growing in the conditions you describe.

Azaleas and Rhododendrons are always good choices; Brunfelsia pauciflora is a shrub with clusters of violet flowers with yellow centers. Camellia's - many varieties - love shadeand come in lots of colors. Daphne odora (Winter daphne) has tiny fragrant blooms in December and January.

Groundcovers include Pachysandra (yellow flowers), Trachelospermum (Star Jasmine) with fragrant white flowers, and Vinca minor (Periwinkle) that blooms abundantly from spring through fall. Colors are either white or purple.

Perennials - Campanula in shades of blue, purple, white or pink, impatiens (same color choices), saxifraga, Asian lilies, and pansies.