The Q&A Archives: Rose Pruning

Question: How far back do I prune my roses and do they need to be covered in below freezing weather?

Answer: For hybrid tea, floribundas, and other rose bushes: It's safe to prune off any long canes that might whip around in the wind this winter, but save your real pruning until late February. (If you prune now and the weather warms for a week or two, new growth may develop which will not be cold hardy.) In late February you can prune the main canes down to within 18" to 24" inches of the graft. Blossoms are formed on new growth. The farther back you cut, the more new canes will be produced, and themore blooms you can expect. <br><br>To protect a rose from really low winter temperatures, either mound exposed parts of the plant with an organic material (bark mulch, compost, leaves, pine boughs, sawdust, etc.), or mound with soil.