The Q&A Archives: What Will Grow In Texas

Question: We just moved to Texas (mid State) and I would like to know what flowering plants will be the best for the area, preferably ones that I will not have to rebuy or replant each year.

Answer: If you are starting from scratch, it's always nice to try and plan for color year round. Here are a few good, hardy perennial flowering plants suitable for your region that will help you achieve that: For spring color: False Indigo (Baptisia australis), Gayfeather (Liatris spicata), Lupine (Lupinus). For summer color: Yarrow, (Achillea), Daylilies (Hemerocallis), Evening Primrose (Oenothera). For late summer and into fall: Michaelmas Daisy (Aster), Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), Black-Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia). Don't forget about roses! There are some fine rosarians in the Lone Star state.