The Q&A Archives: JFK Roses can bloom again?

Question: We have JFK roses in the back yard. These bloomed the
first year, but have not bloomed since. Are there some
pointers to have the JFK rose bloom again?

Thank you

Answer: JFK is a hybrid tea rose. If grafted, this rose would need special winter protection in your area to survive the winters intact. If you did not do this, it is possible the top above the graft union has died off leaving just the (nonblooming) root stock. If it is still in good shape but not blooming, you may need to review some of the rose growing basics. Roses need full direct sun, preferably all day long. They a location with good drainage, meaning soil that is not saturated or sopping wet. They need soil with at least average fertility, so provide an annual top dressing with good quality compost plus a general purpose granular or slow release fertilizer with an analysis of 10-10-10 or similar proportions can can be applied according to the label instructions. Most hybrid tea roses benefit from a hard pruning each spring to stimulate vigorous new growth and blooms. You might want to take a look at a book or two about roses for more detailed care and troubleshooting suggestions. One I especially like is Roses for Dummies, it includes practical information, tips and lots of straightforward advice. I hope this helps.