The Q&A Archives: correct name for a schrub

Question: We believe this particular schrub belongs to the Natal Plum family. The only thing is that it is fruitless and has a tiny thorn on the tip of the leaf. It produces the tiny white flower the Natal Plum does. It grows about 3'x 3'. When cut it has a milky substance. Can you take cuttings and start a new plant?

Answer: Tamela,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Regarding your mystery shrub it may be a type of Natal Plum as leaf form varies quite a bit between varieties. The other characteristics of your shrub point to this identification but not conclusively. I suggest you take a sample from the plant to your County Extension Office to see if they can identify it. You may also be able to e-mail them a digital photo.