The Q&A Archives: What plants will survive Zone 11 on oceanfront property?.

Question: I am preparing an area in front of 2 vacation rental apartments. We are in the Zone comparable with Key West, FL and on oceanfront property. I intend to put in 2 Arbors with Latice work fencing, cutting off an area aproximately 20' x 60'. One of the 20' sides will be 50' from the shoreline. One of the 60' sides will be against the Lodge and will not get direct sunlight, however, everthing else will get direct sun. I would love to attract butterflies and hummingbirds into this garden area, and make our guests feel like they are in a tropical haven. Please give me some suggestions as to what plants will survive this acidic and often windy climate, and accomplish my goal.

Answer: James,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question as we are transitioning to a new Q&A system. I hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Your question is really many questions in one! In order to provide a more thorough answer than can be put in this small space, I will refer you to the following Internet sites. They will provide a wealth of information for you: