The Q&A Archives: Peegee Hydrangea

Question: I received a Peegee Hydrangea gift yesterday. Our weather has suddenly turned cold after 3 weeks of warm weather. Today's temp. a high of 50 and basically about the same the rest of the week, evening temps 30-40. Predicting rain for the next 2 days. Should I wait until the weather warms before planting it and keep it in our garage storage room which has a lot of windows, or on our covered porch where it will get some protection? Or, is it safe to plant it now?

Answer: If this is a bare root plant, soak the roots in water for a few hours and plant it so it can wake up naturally with the season -- today if you can. Keep it as cool as possible (eg 40 degrees is fine) until you plant it. If it is container grown and has been held in a greenhouse so that it is leafed out and tender you will need to keep it in the container until the weather settles a bit. Leave it outside during the day, but bring it into a sheltered porch or unheated garage at night to protect it from frost or freezes. Plant it when you think the last frost has occurred. While you hold it make sure to keep the soil evenly moist, not sopping wet. If it is not leafed out yet, plant it today. Planting right before a rainy spell is ideal. Good luck with your PeeGee!