The Q&A Archives: Creating a New Lawn

Question: I have ived in a new house for just over a year. The front lawn was sodded, but they only threw seed on the back. I have to bring in soil, as there has been some erosion issues. The seed is mixed thoroughly with weeds of all types. What can I use to kill all the vegetation before I bring in soil and seed? How long do I have to wait after spraying to seed the lawn.

Thank you for your help.

Answer: Eric,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

To kill a variety of weeds your best bet is probably something with glyphosate in it (such as Roundup). Spray just enough to wet the weed's leaves...don't drench them. Then give it a week to work and then rototill the soil. Wait another week and you can reseed.