The Q&A Archives: Dent Corn Varieties

Question: What corn varieties can I purchase that will be ideal for making hominy and grits at home? I have been told that 'dent' high starch types are not available from local seed companies, including Hart's Seeds. Aztec Red is one named dent variety that Internet searches produced.

Answer: By far the most widely grown type, dent corn (so named because the seed has a depression, or dent, in the crown) furnishes millions of tons of grain for human and industrial use and for livestock feed. The characteristic denting is caused by rapid dryingand shrinkage of the soft starch. <br><br>Contact the organization Native Seeds SEARCH. Their catalog contains a large selection of corn varieties used for making flour, hominy, and grits. Their address is 2509 N. Campbell Ave., #325, Tucson, AZ 85719;ph# 520-327-9123. They may be able to suggest varieties that will mature in your growing season.