The Q&A Archives: Ballerina Indian Hawthornes

Question: My Indian HawthornesBallerina variety dropped a lot of leaves after they bloomed. Will they grow new leaves?

Answer: Karen,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Your Indian Hawthorns should regrow foliage. In fact by now they may already be doing so. The leaf drop may be part normal for early spring and part due to leaf spot diseases which cause defoliation. You can spray for these diseases but sprays need to be applied early before they progress too far. Otherwise most of the leaves will already be lost. Products with triforine and chlorothalonil alternated every few weeks can prevent reinfection. The primary time to spray is following rainy weather periods.