The Q&A Archives: Black leaves on Magnolia

Question: We have a 30 ft Southern Magnolia on our property that was covered by vines & pine trees until we cleared the property. It had flowers on it prior to us clearing around it 2 years ago, but not since then. The undersides of the leaves have a black mold looking substance, but the new leaves are nice & green. We see buds, but they die & drop before they open. Is there anything we can do to help it? Thanks for your help!

Answer: Fawn,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Your magnolia needs time to recover and adjust to its new environment. The black mold is normal in an outdoor setting. The fact that new growth is occurring is a good sign. The buds should stop dropping in time. There is no need to do anything to the tree especially since it is so large and well established by now.