The Q&A Archives: wisteria

Question: My wisteria didn't flower at all this year and I'm afraid my neighbor may be doing something to kill it because they don't like it. Is there something I can do to test the soil and combat whatever they may be doing to it.

Answer: Certainly you can have your soil tested to see what might be in it. There are several private soil labs who can do this in your area, or you can contact your local Cooperative Extension office or visit a Master Gardener Plant Clinic for a soil test kit. Before jumping to conclusions, though, it isn't unusual for wisterias to not flower as expected. Sometimes the developing flower buds can be killed back by a late frost; sometimes they are accidentally cut off if you prune at the wrong time. I think I'd wait and watch the plant. If it appears to be growing well, the non-blooming was just a fluke. It the entire plant begins to look sick and spindly, I'd have the soil tested.

Best wishes with your wisteria!