The Q&A Archives: Care of Bird of Paradise

Question: I received a bird of paradise as a gift. Please tell me how to care for it. Thanks!

Answer: Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) produce long-lasting and quite striking flowers intermittently throughout the year, but bloom best during the cool season. You can cut the spent flower and stalk down to foliage level to keep the plants looking neat and tidy. Cut off dead leaves as they appear. Bird of Paradise blooms best when clumps are crowded, and the soil is watered deeply and frequently. Young plants need frequent feeding, but if you feed mature plants too often, you'll get lush green growth and no flowers. If your plant is young, feed every 4 weeks during the growing season (spring through summer) with a 5-10-10 fertilizer. Once the plant is established, don't feed at all unless the foliage begins to look pale. Your new plant will grow in full sun, in fast-draining soil. Hope this information helps you successfully grow a Bird of Paradise.