The Q&A Archives: Verbena in Texas

Question: I have planted Verbena in late March early May. They were full of blooms & looked great. Now they are green - but there aren't very many blooms. I am thinking about pulling them up but have seen others who have masses of Verbena. I have not deadheaded them at all though I have fertilized. Any suggestions. I thought maybe they might want a little bit hotter weather. They are in full/partial sun. Any suggestions.

Answer: Chrissy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question as we are transitioning to a new Q&A system. I hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Verbena can suffer in the heat of a Texas summer but with adequate soil moisture and a little fertilizer will stay in decent shape. Your plants probably bloomed themselves into a weakened state. Shear them back by half and then fertilize and water to try and reinvigorate them.