The Q&A Archives: Can I plant bay laurel outside in this area?

Question: I was wondering about planting bay laurel outside in my area of Longwood FL. We have been here since 1988 and the pattern seems to be that there will usually be one or two days in the year when the temperature dips to 32 degrees or silghtly below. (so much for fruiting bananas!) I seem to recall one year it got down to 26 degrees. If I plant my sweet bay against a southern wall would it be able to take these occasional low temperatures? Or should I simply play it safe and grow it in a tub?

I was also wondering if the plant could be espaliered. Isn't the plant normally multi-trunked? Does it normally come from the nursery already trained to a single trunk and how would that affect espaliering? Thank you.

Answer: Laura,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question as we are transitioning to a new Q&A system. I hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Bay laurel should be dependably hardy in your area. Espaliering is possible but I have not seen it done before.