The Q&A Archives: Spacing Escallonia Fradesii

Question: How far apart should I plant escallonia fradesii for optimum growth and health of the plant? Can I prune the hedge to make it a more uniform shape without sacrificing bloom?

Answer: Escallonia fradesii has a mounding growth habit to about 6' tall and wide (although it can become taller with age). Plant your shrubs 4-6' apart and they will grow into one another and create a dense privacy screen. Under absolutely perfect growing conditions, your escallonia can grow moderately fast (6"-12" per year). To encourage a dense growth pattern, lightly prune after flowering. The shrubs will produce two shoots where one was - making it thicker and denser - perfect for a screening hedge. Escallonia blooms sporadically throughout the growing season but has a main bloom season in late spring to early summer. You can prune it back after each flush of bloom.