The Q&A Archives: Planting Ivy

Question: I would like to plant Boston Ivy on the side of my garage. The garage is covered in vinyl siding and I was told it would not climb on that. Other than building a huge trellis what can I do? Also, is there another ivy that will grow on vinyl siding?

Answer: Any ivy will attach itself to vinyl siding by means of suction cup appendages called "peds". If you plant ivy at the base of a structure it will scramble up and eventually attach itself. The latest research indicates that climbing ivies do not harm siding. However, it's possible the ivy could stain the vinyl -- a problem should you ever decide to remove the ivy. I would call the company that installed the siding and see if they have any recommendations. Make sure the warranty won't be invalidated if you grow ivy on the siding.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"