The Q&A Archives: Food for Geraniums

Question: I have heard that mixing household amonia with water is good to feed geraniums. If this is so, what is the ratio?

Answer: Some commerical fertilizers are actually ammonia based for their supply of nitrogen. But in my experience it is usually better to use a complete fertilizer intended and formulated for plants -- such as a granular or slow release form with a formula of 10-10-10 for plants in the ground (along with an annual top dressing of good quality compost and an organic mulch that will slowly break down and feed the soil over time), and a water soluble fertilizer with an analysis of 10-10-10 (or similar) plus minors along with a top dressing of compost for plants in containers. This provides a broader range of absorbable nutrients at a predictable stength and is tested safe for your plants as long as the label instructions are followed. Here is an opinion piece about the practice of using diluted ammonia on your plants you might find interesting.

I hope this answers your question.