The Q&A Archives: How to kill Japanese Stiltgrass (Microstegium)?

Question: Hi - I'm trying to find a product I can buy to help with my significant Microstegium problem. I have a shady lawn that is infested in places with Microstegium (Japanese Stiltgrass). I've done some research on the Internet that says this is difficult to take care of in lawns, as constant cutting will not eliminate it (cutting before seeding can remove it in where it can grow to full size). There are apparently selective herbicides that will take care of this problem, but I believe these are unavailable to the homeowner, such as Acclaim Extra, Vantage and Plateau (from How can I obtain these or something comparable as far as effectiveness?

Thanks for your help.

Dave Porter

Answer: You have certainly done your homework, and, frankly, you know more about the problem than I do. I looked at that PDF you mention and there's quite a bit of info there -- thank you for passing it along. My only suggestions would be

--to consider hiring a professional landscape contractor (who can applied the restricted herbicides)

--try to modify the habitat, such as removing lower limbs to allow more sunlight to reach the lawn

--consider alternatives, such as covering the area with landscape fabric and decorative mulch.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you on this one.