The Q&A Archives: Orchids

Question: How do you take care of orchids? The variety that I am interested in is Dendrobium orawan 'Lakeland'.

Answer: Dendrobium orchids are great for beginners because they are realtively carefree. Orchids need very well-drained medium to grow in, so I'd pot them in orchid soil mixed with bark chips. They also like to be crowded in the container, so don't repot to a larger size. Grow them in bright, filtered light (or under a grow light) for 10-15 hours per day, fertilize lightly during the growing season and keep the root medium moist. Temperatures should be about 70 during the day and 60 at night. Mist the plant daily, or increase humidity by placing the pot on a tray of pebbles to which you add tepid water every few days. Keep the water level in the tray below the base of the pot, or else the soil may become waterlogged, and cause root rot. Enjoy your orchid!