The Q&A Archives: Magnolia Tree

Question: I have a Magnolia tree that I got 3 years ago - it has great leaves every year, but it is not flowering - is there something that I should be putting on it help it to flower.

Thank you,
Kristin Kaiser

Answer: I am assuming this is a deciduous magnolia that bloom early in the spring. If the tree seems healthy otherwise, I would suspect cold damage. These trees hold their flower buds through the winter, so winter damage (due to sweeping cold winds, or excessively cold temperatures) can prevent blooming. Also, in the spring, oscillating temperatures can damage the flower buds -- they begin to swell or open during a warm spell and then are suddenly frosted or frozen. These are the most common reasons for lack of bloom. Fertilizer would not change those growing conditions. You might also want to check with your local professionally trained and certified nurseryman to see if they can help you troubleshoot.