The Q&A Archives: Palms Problems

Question: I have several palms on my screened in porch. Their leaves are turning yellowish brown on the ends. They are not exposed to full sun, but partial. I water them about one a week, maybe a little less. Is this normal or are they in trouble.
Thank you for your help.

Answer: Kelly,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question as we are transitioning to a new Q&A system. I hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

The yellowing foliage may be due to dry or soggy wet soil conditions. You will need to dig down a few inches to check the soil and see what you think it is. The solution is to get the soil moisture back to normal and allow the soil to dry aout a bit between waterings rather than staying continuously wet. The lack of light is a problem for some palms but not all. Another consideration is a buildup of fertilizer salts in the soil from excessive fertilization combined with drying conditions.