The Q&A Archives: Plants For Wet Soil

Question: I have an area that has very wet soil. What flowering plants will do well in this type situation?

Answer: Constantly saturated soils lack the air that most plant roots need for good growth, but there are a few plants that will adapt to both soggy soil or just damp soils. Soggy soil plants include Caltha (marsh marigold), Japanese Iris, Primula (primrose), and Bacopa (water hyssop). Soils that are damp can support the above plants, plus Aster novae-angliae (New England aster), Eupatorium (Joe Pye Weed), Filipendula, Houttuynia cordata, Siberian iris, Ligularia, Lobelia, Lysimacha, Mimulus (scarlet monkey flower), Myosotis (forget-me-not), Trollius (globeflower) and Zantedeschia (common calla). Hope this list helps you find just the right plants for your garden!