The Q&A Archives: Chipotle Pepper

Question: Does Burpee carry seeds for Chipotle Peppers? I would like to grow these but can't find anyone who carries them. Burpee is my usual choice for my vegetable seed needs so I am asking you guys first. Also is this a type of pepper that can be grown in the Chicago area climate?

Answer: There is a good reason why you can't find Chipotle seed - a reason a lot of folks don't know so don't feel bad! A chipotle pepper is actually a large, dried, smoked jalapeno; also known as a chile ahumako or a chile meco. The chipotle grande, a smoked dried huachinango chile has similar flavors, but is larger. Burpee does carry jalapeno seed and many other varieties of chile peppers including serrano, cayenne, chiltepin, habanero, and huasteco.