The Q&A Archives: tall trees

Question: We are looking for trees to use for screening between our property and a newly developed neighbors lot. I have considered arborvitae, but want one that will grow tall (at least 20 feet) but won't be too wide, probably 6 ft. in width. Should I consider the green giant or is there one called the dark green arborvitae.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.
Marion Rosencrans

Answer: There are a number of different columnar arborvitae cultivars you could consider using. Your local professional nursery staff should be able to help you select one in the size range you need from what they have in stock on hand. You can plant on the property line or, to provide screening more quickly, sometimes a group planting close to the area you are trying to screen can be effective. This works similarly to the idea of holding your hand up close to your face to block your vision and holding it at arm's length. Good luck with your planting!