The Q&A Archives: where do I prune?

Question: I have some lillys and I don't know where to exactly cut the stems to re-grow blooms after they have fallen off.Can you help me?

Answer: Bulb lilies (Lilium) are deadheaded by snipping off each bloom individually. Leave as much foliage intact as you can. Bulb lilies bloom once a year, so this will not encourage additional blooms this season. It will however help the bulb direct its energy to rebuilding its strength (rather than produce seed) so it can bloom well next year.

Daylilies (Hemerocallis) are treated similarly. Snap off each faded flower (daylily blooms only last one day) to prevent seed pod formation, then when all of the buds on that stem are faded you can trim off the tall stem. With daylilies, each scape has a certain number of buds on it. Deadheading will not change that. It will however help the plant remain vigorous and strong for next year. On reblooming varieties, deadheading is helpful for encouraging additional scapes later in the season.

I hope this answers your question.