The Q&A Archives: Burning Ligustrum

Question: About a month ago I planted lucidum ligustrum around my yard to inclose my backyard and create a fense look eventually--the problem I'm seeing is that many of the leaves seem to be shrinking or just growing smaller, however, the branches seem to be firming up. I do not have a sprikler system, so I water them a little when I have time. Is there a way to make sure they are receiving enough water? Are the leaves growing smaller due to the afternoon heat and not enough water? Or could it be too much water?

Answer: Jon,

It could be either too much or not enough water. Excess water in the soil drives out oxygen and the root die. Dig down a few inches below the surface and feel the soil to see if it is staying too dry or perhaps too wet. When possible water with a good soaking but not very often, so the soil can dry out a bit between waterings. If the damage was not too severe the plants should recover and resume normal growth in time.