The Q&A Archives: What can I plant as a noise break along my wall?

Question: We recently had to remove all our oleander bushes. We now need to plant something along our front wall which borders a busy street. Can you suggest something that is fast growing, will be in full sun, gives privacy and possibly has flowers or something that makes it pleasant to look at? Thank you so much. The area is approx. 80ft X 30ft Thanks a lot. Laurie

Answer: The denser the growth habit, the more noise shrubs can block. With that in mind, here are a few suggestions for replacements for your oleanders: Photinia fraseri, Elaeagnus (silverberry), Dodonaea 'Purpurea' (purple hop bush), Escallonia, Rhamnus 'Columnaris' (tallhedge buckthorn), Osmanthus heterophyllus (holly leaf osmanthus), Vibrunum or Thuja occidentalis 'Fastigiata'. These shrubs are used quite often as hedging material; all take well to pruning if it's a neat, well-maintained look you're after, and all (except the Thuja) produce seasonal flowers for added interest. Good luck with your new hedge!