The Q&A Archives: Euonymus japonicus 'Microphyllus'

Question: I am located in Lincoln, CA, Sunset Zone 9, hot, dry, Central Valley summers. My backyard landscape plan includes a fountain surrounded by a small planting bed which, in turn, is surrounded by a concrete patio slab. It is on the north side of the house which is shaded during much of the year, but in full sun all day during the hottest months. I am looking for a plant for this location that can be maintained as a low (10

Answer: Euonymus japonicus 'Microphyllus', the boxleaf Euonymus, grows 1-2' tall and half as wide. It responds well to formal pruning and is usually trimmed as a low hedge. It's a compact shrub with small leaves so I think you've made a good choice for the site you describe. Expect the plants to grow to 6-10" in width. You can place them about a foot apart and, with regular shearing, they should fill in the area within two years.