The Q&A Archives: Something is eating my Carolina Jasmine leaves?

Question: Hello There,

I recently purchased a caroline jasmine vine from your nursery on north Tantum. We planted it about 3 weeks ago and since then, I've noticed what looks like cicular bites in the leaves, almost like a round paper punch was made in the leaves. Any ideas what's causing this? And... what can we do to improve it?

Thanks, Ingrid Bradford
Anthem Resident

Answer: What you describe sounds like damage from leaf cutter bees. They go after rose leaves, too. Aside from the aesthetics, they don't really do any damage to plants. They're merely collecting plant material to take home with them. I'd encourage these garden visitors. Bees (and most other flying insects) transfer pollen from flower to flower, and they often prey on other insects. I like to encourage a natural balance in my garden so I look forward to seeing signs that these bees are present. They're just about finished harvesting foliage for the season, so I don't think you'll see much more damage. You can pull the damaged leaves off your jasmine if they look unsightly. Best wishes with your garden!