The Q&A Archives: Plants to hide pool equipment

Question: Hi! Love y'all's plants! I recently installed an inground pool and need to hide the equipment and muffle the noise. My yard currently has tropical plants such as cannas, elephant ears, and windmill palms around the fence. Also have a banana tree that goes under the house for the winter. Would like to continue the tropical theme around the equipment. Need no/low maintenance evergreens anywhere from 5 - 9 feet tall and 2-3 feet wide. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Answer: Nandina domestica might fit that size range and will do well as a low maintenance evergreen planting with a somewhat tropical look. Your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension may have other different suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the planting site (how sunny or windy it is by the equipment and what type of soil conditions) and your design goals. Enjoy your new pool!