The Q&A Archives: I live in zone 8 and just bought a nagami kumquat.

Question: I live in zone 8, and have a potted nagami kumquat....what is the minimum temp. it can stand. It does get sun almost all day, and definitely afternoon western sun. Do I need to move it to more shade? And also how about that minimum temp. One place said cover if it gets below 50. It is in a 30 gallon pot and is about 5 feet tall, with lots of blooms. Thanks

Answer: Arlene,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

Kumquats love full sun although they can take a little late day shade just fine. They are hardy (compared to most citrus) and can take cold down to about 24 degrees before damage will occur. However in a container the roots may be damaged by extended freezing temps since they are not protected by the soil's heat. That said, a 30 gallon pot is large and should be able to hold enough heat to withstand some cold. To be safe, move the plant in on a dolly or other device when temps drop to the mid to upper 20's.