The Q&A Archives: Clytostoma trumpet and pink jasmine

Question: I have planted pink jasmine against our fence and wanted to add clytostoma for color, but am being warned that they might choke off the jasmine. Please advise. If I can plant, how close to the jasmine is alright? I was hoping the 2 plants would intermingle but i don't want to lose all the jasmine.
thank you.

Answer: Clytostoma, the violet trumpet vine, is a strong-growing vine that will clamber over anything by tendrils, producing long runners and spectacular flower sprays. It would be beautiful by itself, but would overtake your pink jasmine within a season or two. You can still plant it, but you'll have to expect to prune it back to ground level every winter and remove some of the runners during the growing season. Without discipline, Clytostoma will take over everything.