The Q&A Archives: Mimosa Leaves Turning Brown and Dropping

Question: My Mimosa Tree is not very old. We just bought it from Green Thumb nursery less than a year ago. When it came back from being dormant it was fine but now the leaves are turning brown and dropping off. What can I do to stop it. It has not flowered and is only about 6 feet tall.

Answer: If your tree started the spring with healthy new growth but is begining to look sick, it may be that you're watering too much, or not enough. There is no rule of thumb I can give you on watering, it is a matter of trial and error to some extent. You should water, wait a few hours, then dig down and see how effective your watering was (or wasn't) since it can be surprising. Then, in order to tell if and when you need to water again, dig down into the soil with your finger and see. Your goal is to keep the soil evenly moist, but not sopping wet. Typically trees need careful watering the first year or two, then watering in dry spells for the next several years. In severe drought conditions, even established trees may need supplemental watering, so this is not really so much to ask when you think of the decades of enjoyment a tree can provide. Try watering deeply on a regular basis and see if your tree doesn't perk up within a few weeks. Good luck with your tree.